From 1996 through 2017, WPCA provided an opportunity to nominate and recognize organizations and businesses that took voluntary actions to improve air quality in the previous year. Award recipients benefited through a positive image in the community and by attracting customer attention.
Examples of activities that made organizations eligible to receive this award included:
- Install state-of-the-art emission control technology
- Invest in energy efficiency and/or fuel efficient vehicles and technology
- Provide transportation-related benefits such as telecommuting, compressed workweek, biking or carpool incentives, subsidized transit fare, etc.
- Implemented an Environmental Management System, participate in Green Tier or engage in other activities that go beyond compliance
- Actively inform employees about air quality conditions and actions via flyers, bulletin boards, e-mail or newsletters
- Participate in pollution Action Day programs by notifying employees and rearranging work activities
- Plant trees or use natural landscaping around your business
- Participate in Green Power Partnership®, SmartWay® Transport or other environmental initiatives
The awards were announced each year at the Clean Air Extravaganza each May in southeastern Wisconsin.
Commuter Champion Award
In 2008, a Commuter Champion Award was initiated by WPCA to recognize businesses or organizations that provided their employees a commuter choice or benefit. Commuter Champions offered a variety of commuter choices, programs, or incentives to their employees.
The Commuter Champion Award was announced in conjunction with the Wisconsin Partners for Clean Air Recognition Awards each May at the Clean Air Extravaganza in southeastern Wisconsin